This year, countless crowds of people at the MWC most wanted to get two smartphone: the Samsung Galaxy Fold and Huawei’s Mate the X .
It is not surprising that the Internet has torn apart eyewitnesses with crazy eyes: supposedly, revolution, future, success is guaranteed .
Do not be fooled. What we saw is a demonstration far from reality.
Foldable smartphones have some unsolved problems . The fact that they are hushed up by the producers themselves is the best indicator that they are bending a bad line.
1. The price is not viable. Foldable smartphones for $ 2000 can not be massive. You can start talking about success when the price level drops to the value of the current iPhone, if not lower.
2-3 full cycles of generations of “folding beds” will pass before typical spare parts and production become cheaper. And this is one and a half to two years.
2. The thickness is inadequate. Even 10 years ago, such devices were surprising. Smartphone bricks are gone.
Youtube, tech-guards and geek-freaks are a poor audience, it will not extend the concept of fat folding brick to a level interesting to the masses. And where there are masses, there is money.
3. Displays are mechanically unreliable. All prototypes at MWC had slightly elongated, convex screens in the fold zone.
The photo is not visible, but the live is noticeably annoying. What will happen six months later? Mechanical wear is inevitable. The short-term potential for damage here is higher than that of any spare part in modern smartphones.
4. Plastic screens are killed at a time. Proof here. These are the ones that will stand in folding smartphones until Gorilla Glass comes up with ultra-flexible glass .
Have you forgotten that 15 years ago the mobile phone display was scratched with a key or even a fingernail? How about the same situations, but in a smartphone for 2 thousand dollars?
5. OSes and software are not developed. Popular applications and operating systems will need to be adapted to the concept of a folding smartphone. How to do this when each device is laid out in its own way, in different directions, with different final screen resolutions and diagonals?
This is a question that both the Android development team in Alphabet and the developers of the shells in smart manufacturing companies will have to think about. While everything looks like a terrible clusterfac, rake it for at least a year. Software and shells have just adapted to the notches of the camera, but here the task is globally more complicated.
In 2019, a foldable smartphone is utopia. And it’s ok
To annihilate the folding smartphones announced today can be long and hard. But this does not mean that the idea itself is bad. To some extent, this is an inevitable future.
Just do not think that it is about to turn into a mundane reality. There are as many childhood diseases in this category of devices as the first iPhone and followers did not dream of.
While shock marketing and loud promises are rumbling over our heads, we will continue to buy real, time-tested smarts . No flexible screens.