Focus on developers, business tools and a few consumer announcements.
On May 19, the Microsoft Build 2020 conference started, which will last until May 21. Because of the pandemic, it is being held for the first time in full digital format: Microsoft employees and participants in the event mostly speak from home via video. At Build, the company talks about changes in some of its products and introduces developers to new tools in detail.
studied the announcements from the conference and briefly talks about the main thing.
Unified application development for Windows 10
Microsoft introduced Project Reunion – a single platform for developing applications on Windows. Previously, developers had to write from scratch on the Win32 architecture, which supports older operating systems, or on the Universal Windows Platform that supports Windows 10.
But now they will be able to develop applications on the same platform with backward compatibility. This will simplify the creation of products and will optimize even very old code for modern systems.
GUI Linux Applications on Windows 10
Microsoft has updated the Windows Subsystem for Linux. She got support for graphics cards and the ability to directly run Linux applications with a graphical interface.
Now users do not need to use third-party tools. In addition, they will also be able to use parallel computing and do machine learning thanks to the support of video cards.
Supercomputer for artificial intelligence
Microsoft introduced the cloud supercomputer, which was developed in conjunction with OpenAI to work with large AI models. It runs on 285 thousand processor cores and 10 thousand video cards.
OpenAI wants to use the computing power of a supercomputer to develop a new generation of AI models. Unlike simple algorithms tailored for a specific application, they can be more flexible and solve different problems at the same time. But this will require very large computing power, which will provide a supercomputer.
Azure Machine Learning Ethical Tools
Azure Machine Learning has added tools for responsible use of machine learning. They will allow you to control and correct problems with neural networks: for example, if the sample contains incorrect data or the system draws conclusions not as it should.
In addition, the tools will allow you to understand exactly how the algorithms work and control data privacy. They will be available as part of Azure Machine Learning, as well as in the public domain.
New PowerToys Run Launcher for Windows Open Source
Microsoft has released PowerToys Run for Windows 10. It replaces and improves the existing run menu, which can be invoked with the Win + R command.
So far, the new PowerToys Run duplicates the search options from the Start menu. The update allows you to quickly find applications and files in Windows, as well as running processes in the system. Externally, the application resembles the Spotlight search function on macOS.
However, Microsoft plans to improve iterations, adding new features. The company wants to make it more functional than Spotlight in macOS, for this PowerToys Run will be finalized together with open-source developers.
Along with the new application, Microsoft also released Keyboard Manager PowerToy. It allows you to reassign keys on the keyboard and change quick commands while the application remains running in the system.
Steroids Google Docs, Lists, Teams Update: What’s New at Microsoft 365
- Templates were added to the Microsoft Teams messenger to simplify team building in different business scenarios, for example, in case of crisis or for an event. In addition, applications for Teams can now be created and published in Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code, the function of meetings and the ability to organize broadcasts have also been added to the messenger. For Teams will release the Power Virtual Agents application, which simplifies the creation of chat bots;
- The Fluid collaboration framework was integrated into Microsoft 365: users can simultaneously make changes to documents and connect components that can be easily shared in applications. Microsoft also opened the source code of the tool, this will allow developers to transform any application into a collaboration tool;
Fluid elements can be inserted into other Microsoft 365 applications and co-developed right from there.
- In the summer of 2020, Project Cortex will be made publicly available: the new service uses machine learning and Microsoft Graph to create a “knowledge network” that will collect information from Microsoft 365 and external sources in the form of a report. As planned by the company, this will automate work processes and better manage the company;
- Microsoft will release the Microsoft Lists application – it will allow you to create lists, track the status of tasks and share information with colleagues. Lists can be customized using templates, color coding, implications, and more;
Outlook received support for predictive input of words and sentences, which will reduce the number of errors and typos;
- Edge has added Pinterest integration: the browser will start offering collections from the service. In addition, words on pages can be highlighted and separately searched for their meanings without opening a search engine. The browser also has a quick change of work and personal profiles and extension management for corporate users.