The spread of coronavirus on the planet is frankly not happy. Major events and events are canceled or postponed indefinitely. Many countries temporarily close their borders to slow the spread of the disease.
It’s time to take care of the personal safety and health of your loved ones.
Now we’ll tell you how the virus can be transmitted through household items and even our favorite smartphones.
How is coronavirus transmitted?
The disease is similar to most long-known viral infections and has two main modes of transmission:
▪️ airborne, in which the virus is released by coughing, sneezing, or talking to an infected person.
▪️ contact-household, in which the virus can be transmitted through household items.
It is about the second mode of transmission that many forget, neglecting important health safety rules.
How long does coronavirus live on different surfaces
At the moment, researchers believe that the virus can live on such surfaces:
▸ from 2 to 8 hours on an aluminum surface (at risk iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Apple Watch)
▸ up to 2 days on steel surfaces (steel versions of Apple Watch)
▸ up to 4 days on glass (all screens and back surfaces of most smartphones)
▸ from 5 to 7 days on plastic and rubber (endangered covers, protective cases and other accessories)
Scientists confirm that the virus can persist on various household items for up to 9 days !
If the smartphone comes into contact with dirty hands, the virus on it can persist from several hours to several days. If the smartphone is wrapped in a case or protective glass, based on plastic and chemical compounds, the virus can live on the device for about a week.
That’s how real it is to get infected through the iPhone
Most likely, you already know the basic rules of personal hygiene during epidemics and seasonal exacerbations. If not, recall:
- If possible, visit crowded places less frequently.
- Keep your hands clean. Wash them with soap at every opportunity, at work or on the road, use antiseptics (wipes or sprays).
- Try to touch your mouth, eyes or nose with unwashed hands as little as possible (on average this happens about 15 times per hour).
- When sneezing, DO NOT cover your mouth with your palm, sneeze into the fold of your elbow or disposable handkerchief.
- Do not eat dirty foods or foods without heat treatment.
Now imagine how a virus can be transmitted from a sick person through your smartphone.
The carrier of the virus sneezed, hiding behind his palm, and then grabbed the handrail, railing or doorknob with the same hand. You touched the infectious object after the patient, and then answered the phone, looked at the time on your smartphone or checked the notifications.
Arriving home, you thoroughly washed your hands, killing all the microbes on them, and then removed a dirty smartphone from your pocket. A pair of careless touches of the eyes, nose or mouth with your hands is quite enough for infection.
How not to get coronavirus via smartphone
First , try to develop the habit of working with a smartphone with your left hand, and with your right hand, grab the door handles, handrails, money and say hello to other people. This will minimize the risk of transferring the virus to your gadget.
Secondly , less often apply the smartphone to the face . Whenever possible, talk through the speakerphone or headset.
Thirdly , at the same time as washing or disinfecting your hands, clean your smartphone. Apple officially allowed to wipe the iPhone with alcohol-containing substances or wipes.
The main thing is to turn off the smartphone while cleaning and avoid getting liquid in the connectors and openings of the gadget.
Fourthly , for the time of the epidemic, it is better to abandon the use of protective cases and cases for a smartphone. The virus lives much longer on rubber and plastic than on glass and metal.
What gadgets can coronavirus still carry?
Everything that was said above applies to all smartphones, phones, tablets and other electronics.
Particular attention should be paid to three categories of devices:
Laptops and tablets
The laptop keyboard is a hotbed of bacteria and viruses. The device can easily collect dirt and diseases in one place, and then distribute them in another.
If possible, you should temporarily abandon the frequent transportation of your laptop and tablet. Make your computer stationary at home or at work .
The laptop keyboard, like a smartphone, is preferably periodically cleaned:
- Turn off the laptop and unplug it from the power supply during cleaning.
- Wipe the keyboard and body. To do this, you can use:
▸ special disinfecting aerosols for cleaning equipment
▸ isopropyl alcohol
▸ soap solution ▸ alcohol-containing or antibacterial wet wipes
To kill microbes on the surface of the device, the alcohol content in the solution used should be above 60%.
- Do not use too much liquid so that it does not get inside the computer. Be sure to allow the laptop to dry before further use.
Pay more attention to cleaning the keyboard and do not overdo it with the connectors on the case.
- When cleaning the surface, do not use paper towels. It is best to use special rags for wiping equipment.
Do not wipe the screen too often so as not to damage its coating. Better learn not to touch the display during operation.
Smart watches and fitness bracelets
Wearable electronics are at risk, because it can collect even more user touches than a smartphone.
At least once a day, try to clean the surface of wearable gadgets:
- When washing hands, wrist watches or bracelets with moisture protection should be treated with soapy water. Once a day, flush the device completely by removing it from your wrist.
- Devices without moisture protection should be wiped with cloths, cotton pads or sticks.
- To clean a smart watch, it is better to use a soap solution or antibacterial wet wipes. Aggressive alcohol-containing substances can erase the oleophobic coating.
Headphones & Headsets
Most often, in this situation, they forget about the headphones, and in fact they are able to carry viruses for several days. We already told you how to thoroughly clean your wired headphones and wireless headset .
- Wipe the case or charging case with alcohol-containing or antibacterial wipes.
- Theinside of the cases that you touch during use should be regularly wiped with cotton swabs moistened with isopropyl alcohol.
- Treat the headphones themselves with antibacterial agents, but avoid getting liquids in the process connectors.
It is best to temporarily allocate one headset for the street or work, and the second for the house .
Be vigilant and do not get sick!